check to ensure you have the latest Drobo Dashboard and firmware on
both Drobo and Drobo S before moving disk packs. Migrating drives to a
Drobo S is a one-way operation. Please note that once you move drives
from a Drobo to a Drobo S, you will no longer be able to use them in
2nd Generation Drobo (FireWire 800)
Moving your data from a 2nd Generation (FireWire 800) Drobo to a Drobo S is simple¹:
- Put both your Drobo and Drobo S into standby using Drobo Dashboard or your operating system and then power off each array.
- Remove ALL disks from Drobo and insert ALL disks into Drobo S.
- Power Drobo S back on.
1st Generation Drobo (USB-only)
Moving your data from a 1st Generation (USB-only) Drobo to a Drobo S:
- Connect Drobo S to your computer and ensure it has sufficient free capacity to accommodate the additional data from Drobo.
- Copy ALL files from Drobo to Drobo S.
- Verify ALL files are in place and fully accessibly on Drobo S
- If you would then like to add the drives from
the Drobo to the Drobo S, remove the drives from Drobo and place them
one at a time in the free data bays in Drobo S. Note, this will ERASE ALL DATA on these drives. This step cannot be undone. If you aren't sure that you've successfully copied all data onto Drobo S, DO NOT complete step 4.
NOTE: If your Drobo was formatted using Drobo
firmware v1.03 or earlier, you will be unable to directly swap your
drives from Drobo into Drobo S. This applies to most but not all 1st
Generation (USB-only) Drobos. When you insert the disks into Drobo S a
warning dialog will inform you of this, pointing you to this webpage.
This process is necessary to upgrade you to the latest software that
ensures maximum expandability in the future.
¹1st Generation (USB-only)
Drobos formatted using Drobo firmware v1.10 or later may also follow
these instructions. You can determine which upgrade path is necessary by
inserting your whole Drobo disk pack in Drobo S. If you receive an
error message, please follow the steps for a 1st Generation (USB-only)